Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cauliflower Soup

Original Recipe found Via The Pioneer Woman... and I followed her instructions pretty much to the letter... But I guess I'll retype it all anyways >_>

What you'll need to make this Scrumptious bunch oh soupy bliss:

1 stick of butter (divided in half)
1/2 an onion finely diced
1 carrot finely diced
1 celery stalk (or two celery 'hearts') finely diced
1-2 heads of cauliflower chopped roughly(I used two because I'm greedy and I know I'd want lots of little white bites of heaven in my bowl ;) )
2 tbsp fresh (or dried) chopped parsley
2 quarts chicken broth or stock (I used 1 quarts stock and one quarts water because I oopsed when I was at the market >_>)
2 cups milk (whatever percentage you desire)
6 tbsp Flour
1 cup half and half
2-4 tsp salt
1 cup of sour cream

If you don't know how to slice and dice... i can't help you really, But thanks to my lovely assistant and wonderful friend Ashley, my chopping went three times faster than normal!

For the onion: I use the planks sticks and cubes approach usually, not today but it still worked out. if you cut the onion parallel to the cutting surface (or into planks) and then perpendicular (i.e. sticks) and then you just chop straight down (into cubes) you have a finely diced onion! VOI LA!

For the celery: cut each stalk in half and then just dice it into smaller pieces

For carrots: I find cutting the carot in half and each half into half etc until their fairly thin and then chopping is the easiest way for me :)

for the Cauliflower: wash the florets and lop off that stem, and then just whack at it until it's a good size for your tastes. (But be careful, I had little cauliflower escapeess all over my floor by the time I finished and had to sweep... I'm a messy knife user lol)

In a Large Stock pot or Dutch Oven:

Take half that stick of butter and toss it in the pot... Or slide, or place or what have you... and let it melt down. add your onions into the pot (don't toss these i'm sure it'd lead to a mess) and let them cook until they start to turn brown. Add the carrots and celery and allow to cook a few more minutes, roughly 3-5. Finally add in the cauliflower and parsley, stir to coat, cover and cook for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes pour in your stock (and water if you went my route) bring to a boil and then reduce heat allowing to simmer covered.

IN a MEDIUM sauce pan:

Melt the other half stick of butter. Whisk milk and flour together and then continously whisking slowly add into the saucepan with the melted butter. let simmer a few moments and then take off the heat, adding the half and half in.

Add the cream mixture into the soup, stir, cover and let simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Add any salt or pepper to taste.

Now to enjoy the soup, place a nice dollop of sour cream in your bowl and ladle one or two spoons of soup into the bowl, stir to mix before adding in however much else soup you feel like enjoying.

EAT AND BE HAPPY!

yum (pictures when i find batteries... again. if there's any left.

No comments:

Post a Comment